Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Storybook time

Storytelling is good for babies and kids. Kids are good at imagination all the time. They will wonder around in their own little world. The bunny, the lion, the spaceship, the twinkle stars, the hunger crocodile, you name it. :)

A good friend shared her views and experiences with me recently. And, thinking back, I used to be one of the kids who love story books. The repeating same old stories are still good stories during my bath time (my mom told me thousands of stories when she bath me, but not bed time, haha!). Storytelling can help kids in concentration. They will understand that if they want to listen to a story, they will have to sit quietly and be concentrated while someone is speaking. It will help form a friendship and take turn in conversation if it's a get-together section. The big and catchy colorful pictures can help them to name the items. They will be able to name the animals, fruits, and stuff by pointing finger. Use the simple words and language during the story time. Kids can learn new vocabulary and sentences that used in the correct context. Funny expression and big sign of body language can create their imagination and enhance their body movement as well. I believe that, kids are the mirror of parents. Happy parents will have happy kids.

I notice that kids who love storytelling will be able to listen to parents compare with those don't. Parents can use the story role model to guide the kids about what to do and not. The kids will be educated in a much easier way in the future. For instance, parent may ask the kid, do you still remember the story of Pinocchio? So, what happened in the end when Pinocchio lie to his dad? and so forth. Storytelling can help kids to learn the sequencing and cause and effects. They will feel sad, helpless, fear from the storytelling and encourage them to help other friends.

Choosing a happy and healthy story content is very important to the kids. Avoid haunting story. Caring content is one of the best that help them to develop helping hand. Storytelling is good to help kids to gain an interest in reading books and encourage them want to read books by themselves.

Storytelling is a good way of communication between the parents and the kids. They can discuss the story and the roles together. It also can create good bonding in the family.

I'm sure all mothers are good observers. Happy storytelling, mothers! :)

3 comments:

sheenyit said...

oh, ya, we had just started story telling time for QQ mths ago, b4 her sleep time every nite.
When started, she totally ignore us and she even screaming when we tell her the story.
But now, she wil come to my side and listen quietly. I think she knows a bit wat we trying to tell her now. haha!
btw, i will read her chinese story and Daddy read her english :)

Eunice said...

Wow! That sounds sweet! My friend shared with me that, storytelling section will help babies to develop their speaking skill. :)

kelly said...

I have been reading stories to WH when she was in my tummy. When she was born till now, I've never stopped reading stories to her....and adding funny expressions and actions to make the stories more interesting. However, she normally choose to ignore me...or just snatch the storybooks from me and throw away...hahaha...well...So, i can only choose short stories to tell her, say about 5 mins..OMG, she just dislikes books lah.